An inevitable part of owning a snoring mouthpiece is the need to clean it. Considering that the human mouth contains on average between 800-1000 different strains of bacteria, it’s very easy to see why daily cleansing of your device is necessary. The inside of the mouth is dark, moist, and warm which creates the perfect environment for microbes to grow. If you were to simply store your device after each use without cleaning or even rinsing it off, it would only take 2-3 days before it begins to smell funky.
Now that you have been grossed out, I’m going to go over the care instructions for several popular mouthpieces on the market so that you can keep your mouthguard squeaky clean and smelling fresh.
These types devices come in a number of different designs and can be made from a number of different materials. Because of this, care instructions often vary from one product to another. For instance, some manufacturers suggest that you simply soak their device in mouthwash or a denture cleaning solution while others suggest using warm soapy water or even a toothbrush and toothpaste. Below you will find a list of some of the more popular mouthpieces along with specific care instructions which are approved by the manufacturer.
Good Morning Snore Solution
The Good Morning Snore Solution can be cleaned using one of two methods:
- Purchase denture cleaning tablets from your local pharmacy. You can buy the generic store brand or name brands such as Efferdent or Polident. These are fairly inexpensive, costing around $6 for a 90 day supply. Fill a container up with cold water and dissolve the cleaning tablet. Place the GMSS into the denture cleaning solution for 10 minutes. Next, give the container a swirl prior to removing the device and rinsing. Allow to air dry on a fresh paper towel.
- As an alternative, you may use a toothpaste and cold water solution to soak your GMSS in. Fill a container with about a cup of cold water and drop in a tooth brush length squeeze of toothpaste. Allow to dissolve for a few minutes and then mix using a wooden popsicle stick or some other mixing device. Once dissolved, drop your device in for 10 minutes, swirl, rinse, and allow to air dry.
Clean the Zquiet using a mild liquid dish soap such as Dawn, Palmolive, or Ivory. I prefer to use a soap that has anti-bacterial properties. Clean the device using your fingers and the liquid soap. For best results the manufacturer suggest that you use a toothbrush to assist with cleaning. While a toothbrush is recommended, toothpaste is not because it can discolor or even distort the surface of the Zquiet.
Most importantly, once thoroughly cleaned, you should rinse all soap residue off before allowing it to air dry. While the manufacturer does not mention it, allowing to air dry is an important step prior to storing away for the day. It is recommended to store the mouthpiece in the provided storage case to help retain the shape and spring action of the hinge.
There are two methods that can be used to clean the Vitalsleep:
- Using warm water, clean the device with a toothbrush and toothpaste. The water should be “warm” to the touch and not hot. Place a dab of toothpaste on the Vitalsleep and clean as you would your teeth. Be sure to brush in all of the crevices as this device contains several places where bacteria can hide. Once finished, rinse the device and allow it to air dry on a paper towel before storing it away in the provided storage case.
- An easier cleaning solution is to use a denture cleaning tablet which has been dissolved in water. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. In general, the soaking process usually lasts between 5-10 minutes. After soaking, rinse and allow to air dry. Once completely dry, store the Vitalsleep in the case that came with the device.
Clean your Snoremender using a mild dish soap such as Dawn, Palmolive, or Ivory. Antibacterial soaps are the best choice for this particular application. Use warm tap water along with the soap and your fingers to gently clean the surface of this mouthpiece. Keep in mind that you should never use water warmer than 158° as it can distort the overall shape of the device. The water should be warm to the touch but not hot.
Once cleaned, rinse the soap off with warm water. Continue rinsing with warm water, particularly in the hinge area for an additional 30 seconds. Doing so slightly heats the hinges causing them to relax and open out. Allow the device to dry opened up and completely flat. Once air dried, store flat in the protective case that comes with the device. Take special care not to compress the mouthpiece as it relies on the flexible hinges in order to function properly.
The manufacturer of the SnoreRx suggests cleaning this device just as you would normally clean your teeth – using warm water, a toothbrush and toothpaste. Apply a pea-sized amount of toothpaste into a soft bristle toothbrush. Wet the SnoreRx with lukewarm water and brush the device while paying close attention to areas such as the teeth indentions.
Once thoroughly scrubbed with a toothbrush and toothpaste, give the device a good rinse and allow to air dry before storing away.
The Zyppah Rx should be cleaned using a soft toothbrush along with a ounce or so of mouthwash. Dip your toothbrush into a small container of full strength mouthwash and carefully brush the device. Be sure to clean in all hidden areas which may harbor bacteria. Once cleansed, rinse the Zyppah off and allow to air dry before storing away.
In addition to daily cleaning with a toothbrush and mouthwash, the manufacturer suggests that you occasionally clean the device using an effervescent tablet such as Polident or Efferdent. These cleaning tablets are typically dissolved into water before placing the device into the solution and soaking for 5-10 minutes.
The manufacturer of the RIPsnore offers one simple suggestion when it comes to cleaning the device – “place it under fresh running water”. I tend to disagree with this cleaning advice. However, this is exactly what the manufacturer suggests. Nonetheless, allow the device to completely dry before storing in the provided container.
Each day after use the AveoTSD should be rinsed under warm water and turned upside-down to allow to dry. In addition to the daily rinsing, the manufacturer advises that the device is submerged in a denture cleaning solution. Such a solution is created using denture cleaning tablets which can be purchased at your local drug store.
Be advised, you should never clean the AveoTSD in mouthwash as it contains alcohol which will break down the silicone material from which this device is made.
There are two ways in which you are able to clean the SleepPro. This applies to any of the SleepPro products including the Standard, SFA or the Custom.
- Run the device under warm tap water while using a toothbrush to dislodge any deposits that may have formed on the surface. Keep in mind that toothpaste should not be used during this process as it will scratch the surface, causing it to discolor and potentially harbor bacteria. Once all surface deposits have been scrubbed clean you can then soak the device in mouthwash or a denture cleaning solution. The manufacturer advises that over time the chemicals found in both mouthwash and denture cleaners can cause a breakdown of the material. This is why they suggest using the second method of cleaning which involves a specially formulated product specifically designed for the SleepPro.
- Use the SleepPro brand Fresh and Clean tabs. This product is designed to clean your device, leaving a minty fresh taste while not compromising the material from which it’s constructed. Also, these tablets will not discolor your device as harsher store purchased products will. They can be purchased for $8 per pack and each pack contains 20 tablets.
Which mouthpiece should I buy?
The anti-snoring mouthpiece is one of the most highly effective stop snoring solutions available. With over 100 different products to choose from, deciding which one to buy can be challenging.
As a snorer and product reviewer, I have tried many of these devices and created a list of recommended devices that will help to make this decision much easier.Share This Post: